Wednesday 28 November 2012

200th Post! - Dwarf Kegger!

Arrr me hearties, welcome to the bicentenial post of Pirate Viking Painting! I was casting around for an appropriately celebratory model to paint for the occasion my gaze was drawn to the work in progress Dwarfs on my shelf...

Paaaarty!
Joseph Bugman is going to be the champion of my rangers and represents the perfect party paint job. What's better than a heavily armed drunkard with bonus barrels? Speaking of those barrels, I've really fallen in love with the new woodgrain I'm using. Basecoat in Steel Legion Drab. Streak woodgrain on in Rakarth Flesh. If necessary use Steel Legion Drab mised with a little black to seperate the planks. Finally give the whole thing a generous wash of Agrax Earthshade.


While we are on new techniques, thanks to a reccomendation from Crazybaldhead I picked up some of the Vallejo liquid gold range (from Jackson Arts, my usual brush supplier). Wow. Fantastic doesn't begin to cover it. One coat gold with the most authentic metallic shine I have ever seen. You can even use regular washes over it without hurting the shine too much (I would rehighlight though, well worth it). There are a few things to consider when using this range though:

  1. It is alcohol based so in addition to the paints you'll need some 97%+ Isopropyl Alcohol to wash the brush in. This can be picked up from Amazon or chemists. This is not a product for the kids.
  2. Stir... the... paint. No really, grab a cocktail stick and really mix up the sedimented metallic flakes at the bottom of the pot. Otherwise it will be too thin, shaking doesn't really cut it.
  3. You can mix the alcohol based paints together but you really shouldn't mix them with water based acrylics. Apparantly only a drop of water will start to corrode the metals and discolour the product.
  4. You can use them any way you would use a normal acrylic paint, it is worth picking up a synthetic brush though as the IsoProp really rips the moisture out of natural brushes.
So with that I shall leave you to your evenings with a heartfelt thanks for sticking with a random bloke in Cardiff painting models for fun and profit over 200 posts. Here's to the 500th!

TTFN

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on post 200!!! And thanks for the nod ;]

    You can see a video from SchnauzerFaceMinis of the washes over Liquid Gold for shading here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUhN9Hzax0

    Liquid Gold goes on at 4:48
    Washes start at 5:52

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hundred posts? Righteous. I can only hope the Beard Bunker does just as well. And props to Crazybaldhead, that gold really does look super realistic!

      Delete
  2. Nice! Congrats on the double century! I hadn't heard of the metallics range you're using, I'll have to check it out.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete